It’s now one of basic diagnostic test in infertility, pregnancy and any other gynac complains.
- To diagnose uterus related diseases like fibroids, adenomyosis, polyps,malformation.
- To diagnose endometrium related problem like thin or thick endometrium, adhesion,foreign body.
- To diagnosis for Fallopian tube related problems like hydrosalphinxs or ectopic pregnancy.
- To diagnosis for ovarian related problems like ovarian cyst, chocolate cyst, dermoid cyst or malignancy or PCOD.
- To diagnosis of infection or adhesion in pelvic cavity.
- To study follicles during infertility treatment.
- To aspirate clear cyst.
- To do ovum pick up and embryo transfer in ivf.
During the first trimester of pregnancy
In the first trimester of pregnancy ( 8 TO 12 weeks), ultrasounds may be done to:
- Confirm pregnancy.
- Check the fetal heartbeat.
- Determine the gestational age of the baby and estimate a due date.
- Check for multiple pregnancies.
- Examine the placenta, uterus, ovaries, and cervix.
- Diagnose an ectopic pregnancy (when the fetus does not present in the uterus) or miscarriage.
- Look for any abnormal growth in the fetus.
- During the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.
In the second trimester (12 to 24 weeks) and the third trimester (24 to 40 weeks or birth), an ultrasound may be done
- To monitor the fetus’s growth and position (breech, transverse, cephalic).
- Check for congenital abnormalities or birth defects examine the fetus for structural abnormalities or blood flow problems.
- Look at the placenta to check for problems, such as placenta previa (when the placenta covers the cervix) and placental abruption (when the placenta separates from the uterus prior to delivery).
- Check for down syndrome (normally done between 13 and 14 weeks).
- The levels of amniotic fluid.
- Colour Doppler to know about well being of fetus.
- Diagnose problems with the ovaries or uterus such as pregnancy tumors.
- Measure the length of the cervix.
- Guide other tests, such as amniocentesis and CVS biopsy.
- Confirm an intrauterine death.
- Useful as diagnosis in case of excessive bleeding, pain during menses,irregular menses , less menses, abdominal pain , pain during sex, lower abdominal distension , foul smelling discharge.